This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PowerPoint Presentations

Links from my site to a few PPS documents no longer work. They used to, a year or so ago, and I can't figure out why they don't work anymore. Do I need something new from Bravenet now?

Browser: Firefox

Re: PowerPoint Presentations

You have lots of pages, and lots of links on most of them. I didn't find any references to any pps files on your main page, and do not have time to look through all of them. (On the other hand, I found several attempts to use files that are on your macintosh, not on the internet)

Most likely reason is that you have made some spelling mistake, an F instead of an f, for instance. There was a time when Bravehost had software that would cause a link to work despite such errors.

I'm sorry, I realized later I forgot to give you the specific page that is giving me trouble, http://librarydogs.com/bring_on_the_dogs.html

The first document, "Literacy Magic," is a pdf file; the other two are PowerPoint presentations. All are loaded onto the Internet Bravenet Host site. Perhaps I gave you the wrong link before, and I apologize.

Double check the links and more

If you do have a spelling or punctuation mistake the former software bravenet had WOULD have corrected it but they have taken that out

I have tried some varieties and nothing for the files.

Make sure it matches what is in your file manager and more for the link

Gloria,

We have seen this issue before. Bravenet's recent change has rendered many links for many users, unusable. Now, the links on your site must match the names in the File Manager exactly. This means that each character of the name needs to match in upper/lower case. This extends to the folder names as well.

The first step is to check with the File Manager to make sure everything is spelled correctly and that all the characters of the name have the correct case (upper/lower). Some programs used for uploading can change the case of the file extension. So it's is possible to wind up with "filename.PPS" instead of "filename.pps". To the web server, those are considered different files.

But some users have had trouble, even when the file names and folder names looked correct. They found out that if they renamed the file, even to the exact same name, the problem was fixed. You might try that even with the folder names.

You could, of course, try creating a new folder and then upload a fresh copy of your file(s). Then adjust the link to point to the new copy.

Bravenet doesn't provide coding assistance so they won't provide any real help. That is, other than suggesting you check the file names.

Browser: FIrefox

I went there to see if I could guess the mistake and find the PPS files. But I gave up when I saw that you had named one of them
R.E.A.D.%20Miss%20Bear%20&%20Mrs.%20Koetter.pps

Try renaming it presentation3.pps - no funny spaces, periods (except between name and file type: .pps) , capital letters or other funny characters. Then change your code to reflect that.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I had used the filenames created by the people who wrote the pps and pdf documents, and that's where the problem was. I renamed them and that fixed the problem.