This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My website links can't find my MP3s anymore

Before I give you my issue, my website is a "paid" one through Bravenet--not free. I had MP3 samples saved in the "myaudio" folder on my Bravenet site. I was linking to them using the URL "http://{my website}/myaudio/{my song}.mp3". The samples would play using the default media player on the user's PC. Recently, those links stopped working and now all you get is the Bravenet 404 "page can't be found" error page. Has something changed in Bravenet, with their policies, etc., that this method no longer works? I have tried embedding "/web/" in the URL and various other combinations, all to no avail. Can anybody else give me the proper URL I would need to use to get these samples to play in a browser? Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. Thanks.

Browser: Firefox, IE

Re: My website links can't find my MP3s anymore

Almost certainly, there is some mistake in your link. Bravenet used to correct for spelling mistakes, but don't. On the whole a good thing. Some pain if you have been accumulating mistakes over several years, but at least you will learn to stop making them.

Going to http://www.elvise.net/audio.html we find links to filenames like:
american trilogy 128.mp3
i got a woman 128.mp3
love me 128.mp3
suspicious minds 128.mp3
polk salad annie 128.mp3

I don't know what the filenames actually are, but change them into something sensible. You have been smart enough to use only lower case letters, now remove the crazy spaces. Then make sure your links match the new filenames.

Okay, as I said in my original post, it worked fine for 3-4 years (even with the spaces). So, something seems to have changed in Bravenet. And, that is an old page you were looking at. The current page I am using for the audio clips is "elvise.net/songlist.html". I have set up a temporary test page "songlist2.html" to try different links, all with no luck. And, I have changed the file names to remove the spaces. It still doesn't work. The link I am using on the test page is "http://elvise.net/myaudio/a_little_less_conversation.mp3". And, it returns a 404 page error.

I figured it out. It was the case issue. My song names each started with a capital letter and the links were all lower case. So, case matters (did not know that--weird wild stuff). So, issue solved. Make sure EVERYTHING matches between your file names and your links.

Thanks for bringing up the "case" idea.

Glad you worked it out.

Yes bravenet did make a change a while back taking out the program that corrected your links if were misspelled or had a case sensitive issue

So one of the late bloomers to find this out. Keep up with news from bravenet with your newsletters from bravenet and more

Changes do happen here and there

The software that Bravenet were using for automatic correction required a particular server configuration. I guess that Bravenet were finding that too restrictive.

Browser: Firefox3.0.5

Yeah, it was nice of them to tell me of this change (not!). Lord knows how long they haven't worked. I don't go in and check them on a weekly basis.

Thanks.