This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Uploading FrontPage files

I bought a domain name and paid for an ad-free site. I chose to upload FrontPage files to create my website. The message said: Connecting with FrontPage and gave me the username and password that I would need to connect to the servers using FrontPage. Nothing happened--no connection.

Since I chose FrontPage I can't seem to go back and use the Wizard.

Any suggestions on how to upload FrontPage files?

Thanks.

Browser: Firefox

Re: Uploading FrontPage files

Use an FTP program to upload your files

You can't go back to wizard because the WIZARD is ONLY for if you want to use the templates and such in that editor

Plus it keeps a copy of your site as it was WHEN YOU were using that editor and that editor alone.

Don't mix the editors and more.

If you are going to use frontpage then use FTP to upload your files.

So login to your bravenet account and get your FTP information and use a 3rd party ftp program to upload your files.

I can't use FTP because when I tried, it said I can't use it unless I have a standard website and when I chose which to use when I started, I chose "new FrontPage site" rather than "build a new website."

I have 3 FrontPage pages I'd like to upload, but can't. File Manager is never a choice when I go to Website Manager. There are no hot buttons.

Can I delete the website and start over using "build a new website?" I bought a domain name from Bravenet and paid for 3 moths of ad-free hosting.

I could do the few pages my Friends of the Library group needs if I could solve this problem.

Thanks

fendiglibraryfriends
I can't use FTP because when I tried, it said I can't use it unless I have a standard website and when I chose which to use when I started, I chose "new FrontPage site" rather than "build a new website."

I have 3 FrontPage pages I'd like to upload, but can't. File Manager is never a choice when I go to Website Manager. There are no hot buttons.

Can I delete the website and start over using "build a new website?" I bought a domain name from Bravenet and paid for 3 months of ad-free hosting.

I could do the few pages my Friends of the Library group needs if I could solve this problem.

Thanks

Using the password and user name I was give to upload FrontPage pages I uploaded three pages from my computer, but they're not on my website. I didn't get an error message so they should be there, but they're not.

Yikes!! All I want to do is have three measly pages on my website.

If you uploaded them they should be there if you have them linked to your main page of your site correctly

You have given us NO URL to even look at or anything

Your pages should be loaded in your file manager area in your root directory.

If they were uploaded properly etc

I saved my FrontPage pages to My Webs on my hard drive. Then I uploaded them to my www.fendiglibraryfriends.org using the user name and password given me. The upload log said it was done, but I can't find the pages.

What did i do wrong?

Thanks.

Browser: FireFox

Since I rented the domain name for a year and paid for 3 months hosting of the no-ad website, I don't want to lose the domain name.

Can I just delete the website and start over using the Standard form instead of the FrontPage one without losing the domain name?

Browser: FireFox

Well right now you have no index.html page

So either you deleted them to start over

Your domain is still yours for a year and the paid hosting for the 3 months you purchased that for

When the hosting runs out you either go to free hosting or pay for more hosting.

Just design your site your way. I think the frontpage extensions being on are tricky so one reason I don't do it that way

You can use bravenet's editors or you can use an editor of your own and have more control as compared to the bravenet editors

But your main page needs to be index.html right now you have the basic under construction page for your website

Thanks so much, Jim;

I'm up and running.

I would watch those digital images you have on your page

Someone who still has dial up will leave in a heartbeat because those images are 1600x1200

Need to resize them in a graphics program like irfanview Will load easier. They appear to be a total different size on your page but just some warning here as those few pictures took some time even for me to load

Thanks for the feedback;

I will probably change the pictures when I have better ones in a smaller size.

fediglibraryfriends,

If you want to preserve the quality of your images, when making smaller sizes, you might want to get a copy of IrFanView from IrFanView.com. IrFanView has the ability to re-sample, rather than resize. Re-sampling algorithms are a little slower than a simple resize, but the result is well worth it. IrFanView also has lots of other features.

If you want visitors to be able to view the full size image, link the smaller image to the bigger image. Then it's their choice. Users with slow connections don't have to exercise that option.

Browser: FIrefox

With Irfanview I have found the time difference between a resize and a resample is trivial.

Browser: Firefox3.0.5