This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trouble with linkbottom code

Building my web site with ASP.NET 4.0. Got this linkButton that should open a modalPanel in every page on my site. Made a contact.aspx page and built the modal panel, the linkButton works fine within this page, but as soon as I change to another page(ie Welcome page or About page) it won't open the modalPanel... I know I'm missing a fire code somewhere but can't find out what it is.
Any ideas...??

Browser: IE, Opera

Re: Trouble with linkbottom code

Any ideas? Any ideas?! How can we have any ideas?

You listed your website as

http://n/a

Well, our ideas are not available right now.

Sorry about that I am working on local server...
Didn't think that we had to have a web site to be helped... I' try to get some else to help out..

YOU NEED TO GIVE US A URL if you want help with coding on a page.

We just can't say YOU NEED to do this or that with NO PAGE TO LOOK AT

You come here wanting help for your site here at bravenet you have to give us ALL that we need to HELP YOU.

ALL YOU DID was SAY you had a problem but we COULDN'T SEE the problem to help more

Easy, easy....

I think Michael got it. "... I' try to get some else ...." presumably means someone who can come over and look at the code at his place.

Last message on this subject... Guess what? Send the codes to fellows who knew WHAT TO DO WITHOUT HAVING to see the whole site. They are what PEOPLE IN THE BUSINESS called experts in their field.... So maybe some of you so call experts could take a class of humility and a lesson or two on how to answer someone that is not on the same level than yourselve.... Don't worry I am not going to ask you any more "HELP"
from people on a ego trip.

Michael D.

If you take it like that, I guess what I said in your defense wasn't quite true.

I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt, but the thing is: What you did was more than a little silly. If you are that sensitive, the alternatives are to hurt your feelings or ignore you. Try to write an answer that

a) Tells someone "We don't know whats wrong with your code because you didn't show us"
b) Pretends that it isn't at all silly to leave out the information
c) Doesn't sound incredibly condescending.

But the main reason I bother with this discussion again is this:

You probably have made some mistake, but it isn't likely to be that particular code. If it is, you just need to delete it and copy again from the page where it works. It is more likely to be a combination of the code and something else on the page.

Here is something you can try yourself, with no help from "experts in the field":

Make a copy of the page where the code works.
Delete everything else on that new page.
Check that the code works.
Now copy everything from one of the pages where the code doesn't work onto that page, one element at the time. Check between every time you copy something.

When it stops working, you will have found the problem. If it doesn't, never mind. You haven't found the problem, but you will have solved it, the page is now working right.