Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feed rations

I am having trouble completing a feed ration for a college assignment. The horse that I am designing this ration for, grazes for four hours a day, so how do I work out how much energy he gets from the grass?

Where are you from? Scotland

How did you locate this forum? Search engine

Re: Feed rations

Hello Emma,

In general, you can allow between .34 and .5 kg of dry matter per hour of grazing if the pasture is in good shape and there is plenty of young growth. In older pastures, allow between .2 and .7 kg per hour of grazing, depending on the pasture’s degree of age. Then, identify the most common species of grass in the pasture and look up the average feed value for that species at each stage of growth.

All the best,

Dr. Getty