Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Foal nutrition and OCD

Hi Dr. Getty, this is a great website. We are a small breeder with one to two foals a year over the last six years. We try to feed the best feed but seem to keep ending up with leg problems. Our vet always indicate to drop the protein content down but I am concerned about stunting their height growth. We have had epiphysitis in the knees and fetlocks, as well as contract tendons. We feed a 16% sweet feed with steam rolled oats for digestibility until 4-6 months then switch to a 16% regular sweet feed. Generally they get about 6-10 lbs per day. We don't supplement because it is supposed to be a complete feed. Although we generally have a high quality alfalfa hay, I can not guarantee consistency. I also can not feed free choice because the mares are easy keepers! All of our horses are on 24 turnout except when they come into feed. Because of the leg problems we quit creep feeding several years ago and only allowed grain fed with the mare.

Could you explain how sugar (carbohydrates) affect the develop and potential for DODs? All of our horses are lazy, so the sweet feed has not created "hot" horses on our farm.

Could you recommend a feed? We have easy access to Equine Merit (Profile) and Nutrena products. Most of the trainers up here feed Omelene 200 or 300. We can also custom mix our feed through the co-op but I don't know where to start making adjustments.

Thanks again for the great site!

Where are you from? Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? Search for Omelene 200

Re: Foal nutrition and OCD

Hi Christine,

Thank you for writing. I will try to sort out this relatively complex situation.

In order for a foal’s bones to grow adequately, it is important to have high quality protein (since bones are made of the protein called “collagen”). Minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, “attach" themselves to this collage matrix.

Development Orthopedic Disease (DOD) is the term used to describe several conditions that affect young horses including Physitis, Osteochondrosis, Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)and Wobbler Syndrome.

We used to think that excessive protein was the problem. But, instead, it was not the quantity of protein so much as it is the quality of the protein. If a protein quality is poor, excessive nitrogen is spilled into the urine, taking calcium along with it. This deprives the bones of their ability to mineralize adequately. So, I am pleased that you are feeding alfalfa hay. You should also feed a grass hay, however, to provide a balance of amino acids.

Today, researchers have shown that high levels of blood sugar (glucose) and the corresponding insulin response, leads to these DOD disorders. Blood glucose levels are increased when feeds high in starch and sugar are offered. As a result, insulin levels also rise. So, it is important to avoid feeding grains such as oats, corn, and barley. In addition, the sweetening of feeds (using molasses) should also be avoided.

So, bottom line – provide a low starch feed, offer the correct balance of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium for healthy bone grown, and provide a high quality protein.

So, to address your specific concerns…

I would stop feeding the sweet feed. This is making the problem worse or increasing the potential for its occurrence. Instead, feed a low starch, complete feed such as Nutrena’s SafeChoice, Triple Crown’s Low Starch, or Purina’s Ultium.

And, do not feed Omelene – it is all grain and sweet, as well. Not a good choice. (I hope you don’t work for Purina! )

The next thing I would recommend is that you let your horses eat hay ad lib – 24/7. There really is no such thing as an “easy keeper.” Yes, there are horses that gain weight easily, almost just by breathing! That is a sign that they are not eating enough nutritious feed. The body perceives the situation as one of starvation, and hence, the metabolic rate slows down dramatically. So, any calories at all are easily stored as fat – this is the way the horse would survive in a drought situation, for example, in the wild.

But, if you start feeding roughage (not concentrate) all of the time, the body “calms down” so to speak, and the metabolic rate increases. Combine this with some extra activity and Bingo! – the horse loses weight!

Just as there are plenty of fat people who are undernourished, there are plenty of fat horses who are literally starving. So, let them graze – you’ll not only help their weight. But, you’ll also prevent problems such as ulcers and colic.

One other thing – you mentioned that you are feeding 6 to 10 pounds a day – this sounds excessive. And, you should limit the meal size to no more than 3 pounds. Horses’ stomachs are relatively small and anything over 3 lbs could potentially cause colic.

Also, they do not need this many calories, unless you are working them hard. Instead, feed them half of the amount you are currently feeding of a low starch complete feed, offer hay 24/7, alfalfa hay, and a good multiple vitamin/mineral formula such as Accel, Select, or Platinum Performance.

I know I’ve written a lot here. I hope this clarifies things for you. If you have more detailed questions beyond the scope of this response, let me know, and we can visit more in person.

I admire your concern and your willingness to do the right thing for your horses. You are a super horse mom!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty, thanks so much. This is very helpful information. And don't worry I don't work for Purina! I've done a little research and the store here will special order the Nutrena SafeChoice, even at a reasonable cost. What makes up these feeds if you take out oats, grain, barley and molasses?

I do break up their meals so that they are 3 pounds or under. The 6 - 10 was an estimate because it goes up and down depending on where they are in their pregnancy, whether they are lactating, or after weaning. But looking at the SafeChoice it seems as though their recommendations are similiar. For instance an early lactating mare is 12-18 lbs, and a mare in the last trimester is 6-9 lbs. A light exercise performance horse is between 6-9 lbs also. My mare, who is open this year, normally only gets about 1 lb of sweet feed per day. Would I continue with the 1 lb per day? Or the higher amount as they recommend? Would she still be getting the required nutrients? I do plan on supplementing with the Grand Complete.

I have increased their hay and of course they are very happy. At this time hay is more valuable than gold so I won't be able to find any types of grass hay until the new cutting. What types of grasses should I be looking for?

Thanks again for all your knowledge! ~Christine

Where are you from? Bovey

How did you locate this forum? Searching for Omelene 200

Hi Christine,

Nutrena SafeChoice is made from beet pulp, rice bran, grain hulls, and alfalfa – all excellent sources of digestible energy, protein, and healthy fats. And, you’re right – you do have to feed a large amount according to their directions. Since the feed is low in non-structural carbohydrates, you’re ok in feeding the recommended amounts for a pregnant and lactating mare, but watch their weight so she doesn’t start putting on too much body fat along her back and crest.

There really isn’t any need to feed the sweet feed to your open mare, but feeding only 1 lb each day should be fine.

About the hay – timothy, orchid, Bermuda – most grasses are fine. Stay away from fescue.

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty

Hi again, Dr. Getty!

The update on my situation is that my yearling stud colt, who was being fitted for halter, is now coming home. The phyistis in his knees makes him too soar to compete this year. (They were the ones feeding Omelene 200.) The good news is that now I can try out the new feed and see the difference.

As I mentioned before I did purchase the Nutrena SafeChoice but I was wondering if you had a side by side comparison regarding the nutrition analysis of each feed. Our feed co-op carries ADM, specifically Grostrong UltraFiber. If it is comparable we would like to continue purchasing our feed there as long as it is also a high quality feed. Unfortunately, the tag off the Nutrena does not indicate the level of carbohydrates, etc.

Thanks again for all of your assistance! ~Christine

Where are you from? Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? Search for Omelene 200

Hi Christine,

The ADM GroStrong UltraFiber is definitely a good choice and comparable to Nutrena’s SafeChoice. I don’t have a feed comparison for you because Nutrena is very hush-hush about their recipes. So, since the ADM is available in your area and is an excellent feed, I recommend you feed it instead.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty