Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
should i feed a good doer more than grass

hi i have just bought a heavyweight clydsedale x mare 15.3 she is well covered and the previous owner told me he dosnt feed her....she just has grass and she had hay in her paddock over the winter...she looks extremely well has glossy coat etc i was wondering if i should carry on like this? she will be in light to medium work hacking and schooling 3/4 times a week....p.s i do like to give my horses garlic as it really helps the fight against fly bites, i suppose a small feed of chaff, beet and garliic would be ok, what do you recommend?

Where are you from? lincs

How did you locate this forum? freind

Re: should i feed a good doer more than grass

Hi Alice,

Since you plan on working her, you will want to add another energy source to her diet in addition to hay. Do you have Dengie Feeds available in your area? I would recommend their alfalfa products to balance out the grass hay.

Chaff, beet pulp, and a small amount of garlic are fine. But, I generally do not like feeding garlic because it can cause iron-deficiency anemia. If you are looking for a natural way to decrease fly bites, you can add additional B1 (thiamin) to her diet.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

hi thanks for your advice, many people have been giving me advice and one person who has a heavy good doer like mine has suggested i use the same feed as she has done for 3 years.....this is half scoop of baileys no 2 horse and pony cubes, half scoop alpha A original, mixed in with speedi beet( because her horse likes his feed moist)....what do you think?

Where are you from? lincs

How did you locate this forum? freind

Hi Alice,

This is a good plan – low in soluble carbohydrates, high in fiber, good quality protein from the alfalfa. It’s a bit low in fat, however. If you can add some linseed (flaxseed) meal to the mixture, that would be ideal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty