Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tricky Horse, Too many opinions!

Dr. Getty your site is a total relief!

Horse Nutrition is a tricky subject, from vets to trainers I have had a very difficult time finding answers!

I have a 16.3 TB Gelding. He is a handful, very high maitenance. He weaves, stall walks, in the barn and out! He is ment to be a high level jumper, he is extremely sensitive to oats, sweetfeeds..etc.
He drops weight easily. He is a great eater and drinker. He seems to be prone to having a "Seedy Toe"
He is only six. Right now I feed him a purina feed, High Fat High Fiber. It doesn't seem like I am on the correct track. Our hay is okay, kind of course, grass hay. I really don't know what to feed this horse???? supplements?? herbal calming pastes??

Thanks SO Much

Molly

Where are you from? Canada, ON

How did you locate this forum? Search engine

Re: Tricky Horse, Too many opinions!

Hi Molly,

Since he is prone to Seedy Toe, it is important to make sure his stall is clean and dry and that his hooves are regularly cleaned and disinfected. In addition, supplement with a good hoof supplement. I don’t know what is available in your area, so if you want to let me know what your options are, I can help you make the best choice.

What is the name of the Purina Product that you feed? “High Fat, High Fiber” is not on their list of products. If it is made from non-soluble carbohydrates such a beet pulp and bran, along with alfalfa, soybean meal, etc., then it is worthwhile. However, if it is grain-based, you will want to choose a different feed.

I would recommend that you provide him with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that will provide him with adequate B vitamins to calm him. From the way you describe him, Platinum Performance would be excellent for him.

If you can increase his grazing time outside of the stall, he will likely be less nervous. And, while he is in the stall, make certain that he has access to hay at all times. Stalled horses are highly prone toward developing ulcers. A flake of alfalfa hay at night is also a good idea to boost his calcium level and his protein quality.

Hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty