Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
overweight horse w/laminitis

What feed would you recommend for an overweight horse with laminitis? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? google.com

Re: overweight horse w/laminitis

Hello Emily,

The best thing you can do would be to stop feeding any grain (oats, corn, etc.) or feeds made from grain, or sweet feeds. Instead, offer your horse all the grass hay he wants, along with some alfalfa hay. And, at meal time, give him some alfalfa pellets or a low starch feed, along with his supplements. He should given a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to round out his diet.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm sure you're kept pretty busy. I have another question for you. I've been researching different supplements recommended for the treatment of laminitis, and I've narrowed it down to two, Lamina Saver & Shark Legs (formally Lame-A-Way). The reason I'm interested in Shark Legs is because it contains Coenzyme Q10, which I've read is one of the best antioxidants for the horse. But I've also read good things about Lamina Saver. Which would you recommend. Thank you again, I've gotten more information off this forum than from the vet.

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Emily,

Thank you for your kind words.

Unfortunately, Lamina Saver does not divulge its ingredients, so I cannot comment on it other than to say that I have heard of good results from this product. It may also contain Coenzyme Q10, but there is no way to determine that.

I am reluctant to endorse Shark Saver because it contains shark cartilage, which may be contaminated with mercury, just as other shark tissues are. I would not eat shark because of its high mercury content, and therefore, I would not recommend giving it to my horses.

So, if I had to choose between the two, I would go with Lamina Saver.

Dr. Getty

I have a mare that is very overweight that has foundered several years ago. I just started feeding the Spillers Happy Hoof twice a day. She gets all the grass and hay she wants. Dr Getty is there anything else I should add too her diet.I have always been told not to feed her alpha because it is too rich for her.

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Strohben Qtr Horses message board

Hi Trina,

Spillers Happy Hoof is fine – a good low starch feed that is made from alfalfa. Alfalfa is excellent for the vast majority of horses. And, recent research has shown it to be beneficial for horses who experience chronic founder. The concern that it is too “rich” is not true. It is high in protein, and boosts the quality of the protein found in her grass hay. She needs high quality protein to keep her feet in good condition.

You didn’t mention how old she is, but is she is getting up in years, I would recommend that you add Vitamin C to her diet.

Keep up the good work!

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty
Thanks for your quick response. Next question is, after reading your other post about the purina ultium,I was wondering if this would be good for my horse. She is 13 years old and has 24 hour turnout with free access to costal hay which is aprox. 6 to 7 % protein. "We live in Florida with the usual low quality hay and grass". She is 14.2 hands and aprox. 900lb a morgan/ twh.I saw that it has molasses in the feed,will this be too much sugar for her?
Or should I stay with Happy hoof or try the beet pulp with all the suggestions you gave others???

Thank You

Hi Trina,

Purina Ultium is an excellent feed for horses that are exercised fairly intensely on a regular basis. So, since I’m assuming that your gal is not worked a lot, I would suggest sticking with the Happy Hoof. If you are looking for a different feed, try Nutrena SafeChoice or Triple Crown Low Starch. But, I suggest you add alfalfa to the diet, if you change feeds.

Dr. Getty

Thanks for the info.So what are your thoughts on feeding the ultium to a yearling.I have 6 horses ranging from 15 to 1 years old and would like to put them all on the feed.Two of them are trail ridden on a regular basis as was the one with laminitis until recently. I do plan to start riding her very soon waiting for the farriers ok.I do plan to start working her 3 times a week in the round pen for exercise.She is not lame at this time the farrier is having to do some major trimming every 3 to 4 weeks, then she is very lame/sore for 2 weeks. So she is only sound about 1 week.

Hi Trina,

Yes, Purina Ultium will be fine for the type of exercise you describe – though you likely won’t need to feed as much as the package label recommends.

Dr. Getty

P.S. This is strictly my opinion – but trimming my horses’ feet to the point of lameness for 2 weeks is terribly harsh and causes undo stress. It’s like cutting your fingernails below the quick. Talk to your farrier about achieving the same results more slowly.

Thank!!! I was planning to feed half alphalfa and half ultium. But I also read in another one of your post you said to double the alfalfa to what grain you feed. What do you reccomend. Maybe 3/4 alfalfa abd 1/4 ultium?

Sorry for all the questions. You have been alot of help.

Hi Trina,

The comparison with alfalfa and other feed, is with grass hay. So, I generally recommend a 60/40 mixture of grass hay/alfalfa hay. As far as the Ultium is concerned, I would start out by going with half of what the directions recommend for each age, condition, and exercise level. See how well that works for you.

Dr. Getty