Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
pot belly in yearling

Hello Dr. Getty,
Thank you so much for such a helpful website. I have a 4 year old mare and a yearling. They are both paints. They are both on pasture 24/7. I also feed them LMF feed (grass formula). Website for LMF : http://www.lmffeeds.com/lmf_development.html The mare looks better than she ever has. My yearling still has a big pot belly, but he is on a good worming program so I don't think that is the problem. I have also given him Probiotic paste at least 3 times in the last three months. I used to give them LMF two times a day to put weight on them. I then cut back to once a day. What do you recommend?
Thank you so much!!!
Heather

Where are you from? Stanwood, Washington

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: pot belly in yearling

Hi Heather,

Your yearling’s pot belly could simply be fermentation or it could be due to tapeworms. Does your worming program include a dose of praziquantel at least once each year? It is combined with either ivermectin or moxidectin in combo dosages – there are several brands.

Too much starch can also cause bloating and grains, in general, are not the best for horses. I notice that LMF makes a low starch feed called, “Low Carb Complete.” I would recommend this one, instead of the grain-based feed you are currently using, for both your mare and yearling.

Poor quality pasture and/or hay, can also lead to excessive fermentation by the bacterial flora inside the hind gut. And, this, too, can cause an enlarged belly.

So, those are a few things for you to look into. I hope this helps. Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty