Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horses won't eat Safe Choice

Dr. Getty,

I changed my horses to Safe Choice, alfalfa pellets, and coastal bermuda hay, according to your recommendations, back in April. Tha 8 horses that live at my home eat well and look great. My trainer had tried for 2 months to feed Safe Choice, but all the horses in their barn, expect for one of mine, refuse to eat it. Recently at a show, I watched one mare leave her feed from Friday night to Sunday morning. She might have nibbled half of it. They say she doesn't eat any better at home. At one time Nutrena replaced all the trainer's feed with new Safe Choice, but still the horses won't eat it. Most of them have lost weight. Do you have any suggestions? The trainer is going to have to do something different, and is looking for an alfalfa based pellet.

Where are you from? Poolville, TX

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS gave me their website, w/link to you

Re: Horses won't eat Safe Choice

Hi Pam,

Take a look at Purina Ultium – www.ultium.com This is made from flaxseed meal, alfalfa, and beet pulp. It is a low starch feed designed for the performance horse so you can adjust the amount you feed based on activity level. It is high in fat, which will also assist in providing the additional calories the horses need.

Your feed store should be able to order it for you, if they don’t carry it.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty