Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
30 days stall rest...uhg!

My mare pulled her tricep and is starting 30 days of stall rest. She is not the "type" (hot) to be cooped up for 30 days! I was wondering if there is anything to add to her diet to help her take it easy and make it tolerable for both of us??

Thanks

Where are you from? WI

How did you locate this forum? Internet

Re: 30 days stall rest...uhg!

Hello KFR,

My, my – that is a long time. Do you have a small paddock that you can let her into to extend her confinement area?

I would suggest a few things. First, try giving her Modipher EQ Mist to help her calm down – you can link to it from my website’s homepage.

Also, make sure she has hay 24/7 so she can nibble throughout the day. This is important in preventing an ulcer.

And, third, you may want to experiment with a few horse toys -- they are readily available at most on line stores.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Thankfully, she will not have to be in a stall 24/7. The place where I keep her is letting me use a small paddockk instead, yeah! Could you tell me more about the Modifier Mist? Does it really work? Lastly, I think she would love a toy to paly with, she is a very curious horse!

All great suggestions, thanks!

Where are you from? wi

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi KFR,

I have used the Modipher EQ mist on 3 different horses, in three different situations and have found it to be very effective. My farrier was so impressed with it, that he got some to use with his more difficult cases.

It’s not a drug – it is a pheromone – a scent that calms foals down during nursing. And, horses continue to recognize this scent even as adults.

About the toys—take a look on some websites like valleyvet.com or others that sell horse tack. There are lots to choose from.

All the best,

Dr. Getty