Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
corn baled in brome grass hay

Hello Dr. Getty,

I just got my year's supply of hay yesterday. I get brome grass hay, and in 3x3x8 bales, if that makes any difference.

I noticed in the first bale I opened that there are some old corn cobs and corn husks baled into the hay. Perhaps this was volunteer corn in the farmer's grass field.

My horses are leaving the cobs and husks to the side and not eating them, but I wonder if this is harmful to them? I've heard about mycotoxins. Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks for your input.
Kara

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: corn baled in brome grass hay

Hi Kara,

Yes, mycotoxins, in particular aflatoxins, in corn is a concern. But, you can generally see it -- it has a green color. If you notice this, I would return the hay.

If the corn looks clean, just remove the cobs. However, if there are a lot of loose kernals mixed in with the hay, it may still be ok to feed, as long as your horses are not prone to grain-related disorders (e.g., Cushings and laminitis).

Great question!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you, Dr. Getty.

I need to clarify a little bit.

The corn cobs are "empty" as if some animal ate all the kernals before the cobs and husks were baled into the hay. So, all that's left is the cob shell, not actual corn. However, just to be sure, I will carefully go through a big flake and sort through to see if I find any corn.

The cobs look pretty old and dried out, as do the husks. The husks are sort of a greyish color, not a dried yellow.

Is the green mycotoxin visible on the cobs or husks or stalks? Or could it be in the hay?

Thanks for your help!
Kara

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Hi Kara,

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I would remove the husks, if possible. The mycotoxins would be green in color, and if they are in the hay, you can smell them. So, smell the hay -- it should smell fresh and clean.

Dr. Getty