Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bryant feeds

Dr. Getty, do you known if any of the Bryant brand pelleted feeds (made nearby in Aledo, Texas) are low starch? If so, how would their product compare to the other low starch feeds available?

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? equine DDS

Re: Bryant feeds

Hi Pam,

There is no information on the web that shows the ingredients of their products. Perhaps you can a site you can share with me.

Other products that I recommend that are low in starch are Nutrena's Safe Choice, Triple Crown Low Starch and Triple Crown Lite, and Purina Ultium.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,

I just talked with a fellow at Bryant Grain about their horse feeds. He told me that the lowest starch feed they make is 40% wheat bran, and also contains rice hulls, soybean meal, and "screenings" which usually consist of oats, corn, and milo. He couldn't tell me what the percentage of starch would be. Would it be likely that the wheat bran would make the starch content too high?

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? equine DDS

Hi Pam,

Wheat bran does not add significant amounts of starch. Just make certain that the calcium to phosphorus ratio of the feed shows that there is more calcium than phosphorus. Calcium has to be added to wheat bran-based feeds, since it is very high in phosphorus.

All the best,

Dr. Getty