Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
supplements for mares in heat

I am going to purchase a 10 year old mare. this will be my first horse. The seller mentioned that the horse sometimes is grumpy during her cycle -perhaps crampy? and that lunging her helped and I coudl perhaps give her supplements.
What supplements, if any, would you recommend to ease a mare's heat cycle.

Thank you
Heather

Where are you from? Duluth Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? Horsecity board memeber mentioned you in a chat thread

Re: supplements for mares in heat

Hi Heather,

The best thing you can do is provide her with a nutritious diet so she does not experience extreme hormonal responses during her heat cycle.

Plenty of clean, high quality grass hay, along with some alfalfa, should make up the majority of her diet. Then, add an energy source such as beet pulp, rice bran, or flaxseed meal, depending on her health and energy needs. And, finally, a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Accel.

Congratulations on becoming a horse owner!

All the best,

Dr. Getty