Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hotness issue

I have a Quarter horse/Andalusian cross gelding, approx. 12 years old. When I purchased him about six months ago, he was very quiet. However, at that time he was underweight due to a bad situation. Since that time, he has put weight on nicely. However, I am now having issues with hotness and when being ridden, he can have issues focusing (almost like ADD in a child). I am considering selling him due to this, but am wondering if a change in grain might help the situation. He is not being used for competition or anything, just a novice rider working on dressage.

He is currently being fed grass hay and Horseman's Edge grain. The barn where he is boarded goes by scoops, so all I can say is that he gets 3/4 scoop twice a day. He used to be turned out in a large pasture for most of the day at a previous barn, but his current barn gets him out in a smaller area for a couple of hours per day.

Thanks,
Brenda

Where are you from? Cleveland, Ohio

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: Hotness issue-clarification & more info

I just realized that what I wrote about novice and dressage could be interpreted differently. I meant that I am a beginner that has ridden for 4 years and the gelding is ridden with me learning the basics of dressage (i.e.,not a high workload).

Also, he is on the small side at 15 hands.

Brenda

Where are you from? Cleveland, Ohio

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: Hotness issue

Hi Brenda,

You may be feeding a diet that is too high in starch and sugar. This can produce extreme highs and lows in blood sugar levels due to the erratic insulin response with a couple of meals each day. This can cause erratic behavior in many horses.

Check the ingredients on your feed. Is it grain-based, meaning, is it made from oats, corn, or barley? Also, is it sweet?

Another potential problem in the size of the scoop. Scoops come in a variety of sizes and 3/4 of a scoop can range from 2 lbs of feed to as much as 8 lbs of feed. Feeding too much grain can lead to colic and even laminitis.

So, the best advice I can give you is to start by switching to a low-starch feed -- something like Nutrena's Safe Choice would be worth considering. You many have other feeds that are low starch in your area, as well. Once you've done that, if he still needs some "mood adjustments" you could consider giving him a B complex vitamin such a BPlex.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty