Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Older Horse with weight issues

Hi I have a 17 year old gelding I have been battleing with his weight for a year or so to me he looks thin. we have done blood work to check for cushings and regular blood work to check for liver or kidney problems. He has a hard time eating a grain due to teeth problems. I am looking for a diet that will make his coat look good instead of dry and wirery and help him gain weight . I am currently feeding a 12% protien senior feed, grass, and all the coastal hayhe wants.Please tell me if you have any suggestions.

Where are you from? Mims,FL

How did you locate this forum? website

Re: Older Horse with weight issues

Hi Brandy,

Very often, as horses age, they have difficulty maintaining a healthy weight. There is a product called Reitsport(click on the link to read more about it)that will work wonders with him, if your pocketbook will allow it. It is a comprehensive top dressing that you would add to his feed that will boost his overall health, including his digestive system, so he can derive calories from the hay that he is eating. This will help him gain weight.

It will also help him because it in a flaxseed meal base, providing extra calories from omega 3 fatty acids. His hair coat will glow, his hooves will be healthy, his internal organs will function better, and he will joints will stay lubricated.

Which senior feed are you using? Some are easier to chew than others. You may have to moisten it to help him eat it better.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr Getty - Thank you for your reply so quickly unfortunatley i am looking to try to keep costs down if at all possible I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Focus SR supplement?

Hi Brandy,

Yes, it is a bit pricey -- not overpriced for what you get. I was mainly after a source of omega 3 fatty acids, microbials, and a comprehensive vitamin/mineral package. This is the best "all in one" supplement I have come across. However, there are other options you can consider.

Focus SR is mainly a mineral and microbe supplement, so it is not complete enough.

Take a look at Accel -- this is also a comprehensive supplement without the added hoof and joint supplementation that Reitsport adds.

Ration Plus is beneficial for weight gain because it boosts the health of the bacterial flora, so you could also go with this one. Accel, however, does provide microbials along with needed vitamins and minerals.

And, finally, you could simply add Nutra Flax -- a stabilized flaxseed meal -- that would add omega 3 fatty acids, extra calories, and significantly improve his coat's appearance.

So, those are a few options to consider. Let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Would these supplements be ok for my 5 year old mare and my 7 year old gelding , they don't have a weight problem. I am feeding them 12 % all grain feed with all the hay they want.I was also thinking of adding a flake of alfalfa /orchid hay to each of them in the evenings. What are your thoughts. I have very little grass so I try to feed as much hay as possible (caostal).

Hi Brandy,

The Accel would be excellent for your younger horses, as well.

You're doing great by letting them have all the hay they want. And, the addition of orchard/alfalfa will round out the protein quality.

As you likely can tell from reading this forum, I am not in favor of grain diets, except when a horse is heavily exercised. So, limit grain to no more than 2 lbs per day. And, if they need extra calories, you can add some beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, or even flaxseed meal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

What is a diet that you would recommend for all 3 horses I was thinking on trying a diet called Ultra Dynamix made by Seminole for the older gelding . The 2 younger ones I am unsure or should I just add the accel and leave them on what they are on.

Hi Brandy,

I took a look at Seminole feeds. The Ultra Dynamix is not high enough in fiber for your older guy. I would suggest their Senior Formula, especially since he has trouble with his teeth. And, for your other horses, take a look at Seminole Spillers Horse and Pony pellets -- it is low in starch and a better choice than what you are currently feeding. This is a good feed for maintenance situations where your horses are not doing hard work. I'm not sure if this product is available in your area. So, if not, let me know.

And, then you would add Accel to their diets to ensure adequate levels of all the nutrients they need, along with all the grass hay they want. I would also recommend adding some alfafa to the mixture.

Dr. Getty