Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding Draft Horse

Hello, I run a boarding/Training stable in Nc. and feed my personal horses Pennfield feeds. I have fed Purina, buckeye and Nutrena as well in the past. I really have had good luck with Nutrena products, but switched to Pennfield for economic reasons. I have had excellent success with their feeds, I feed Phase III pellets, Granola to the warmbloods, and fibergized to the horses that have a higher metabolism and they are doing very well. My question really is this, we now have a 15 yr old Percheron gelding that will be used for riding, he is app. 1800lbs and gets free choice hay, salt, water and access to pasture. He has been being fed Strategy by Purina, but since Purina sold to LOL I do not like to use their feeds for inconsistency reasons. I was wondering if he would do well on the Phase III Pellets without corn by Pennfield. It is a nice feed with low starch and no molasses. I am just concerned about the EPSM that they can develope. Thank you for your help.

Where are you from? North Carolina

How did you locate this forum? Google search

Re: Feeding Draft Horse

Hi Wendy,

You're wise to be concerned about EPSM with your Percheron. I took a look at the Phase III, and I was not pleased with the fat level (only 6%) and the fiber level (only 9%).

If he is prone toward EPSM, it's best to feed a high fat, high fiber, and adequate protein feed. Pennfield's Fibregized product seems to fit that requirement better with 12% protein, 10% fat, and 16% fiber. It's not made with any grain, which is ideal.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dr. Getty