Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pony that is allways late to lose her winter coat

As i was helped loads on here with another pony i thought i would see if you had any idea's to this?

I Have owned her from a yearling she is now 4 and is a welsh mountain pony.

She is kept the same as all my other ponies (rugged in winter) and every year it takes ages to get her coat out and its very long and thick.

Its not totaly out till around august and thats if i work hard on it brushing and bathing to get it out.

Is she lacking in somthing and ifnot anything i can add to her feed to help her lose it.

Thanx
Shelley

Where are you from? UK

Re: Pony that is allways late to lose her winter coat

Hi Shelley,

What you are describing is a classic sign of Cushings syndrome. Or, she may be "pre-cushings." Ponies are prone to this disorder because they tend to put weight on very easily, and too much body fat is often a precursor to this disorder (though not always).

Is she drinking a lot of water and urinating a great deal? Is she very hungry? These are also signs of the problem.

Here's what you do... Do not feed any grain -- no oats, no corn, no barley, etc. Allen and Page makes a feed called, "Sugar Intolerance Diet" which I highly recommend. You will need to add a top dressing to it since it is not a complete feed. Top Spec offers a feed balancer or complete supplement.

She is young to have this problem, so you may wish to have your vet pull some blood and test her insulin and ACTH levels.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hello

There is a pony at the stables next to us that has cushings and is lamanitic.

I dont think this is cushing's.(have a look at the photo i took yesterday)

She is drinking normal and weeing normal.And is no more hungry then my others.They get hay everyday in winter and it is just coming to the end of our winter and they have stopped eating the hay and she isnt eating it either.

I think its beucase her grandparents were kept on the hills of wales in the cold so the genes have passed down?

Shelley PS:Photo Below
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/Welshy_Lover/lol.jpg

Where are you from? UK

Hi Shelly,

It certainly could be genetic. However, it could also be a pre-cushing situation. So, to relieve your mind and give you a definitive answer, I would recommend having the blood work done when you have an opportunity.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty