Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Barley

Hi Dr. Getty,
I have a hard keeper,people have been mentioning barley to me alot.I have kept up with your formula and he's doing good,what is it with barley thou?

Re: Barley

Hi Gladys,

Barley is a cereal grain, just like oats and corn. And, it is not very well digested, so I don't like feeding it, especially in large amounts.

To put weight on a horse, it is best to add more calories from fat, rather than from grain. Fat has more than twice the number of calories per gram as grain (starch) has. So, fatty feeds such as rice bran, flaxseed meal, soybean meal, and even adding oils to the diet, is the best way to go.

Also, increasing the amount of alfalfa in the diet is helpful because it has more calories than grass hay. And, beet pulp is another good idea -- it has almost as many calories as cereal grains, without the danger of starch overload.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: Barley

Thank you for your reply.And as I said,I will feed your reccomendations.