Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Copper?

Hi, Dr. Getty. I have heard recently of someone who had horses chewing all sorts of things...and she began offering a copper mix. The horses stopped chewing other things when they had the copper mix available. I had never heard of this before. Do you have any thoughts about this? Thanks.
Heidi

Where are you from? Cool, CA

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty\'s website

Re: Copper?

Hi Heidi,

This could certainly be a factor since a copper deficiency can result in anemia. And, the chewing is an attempt to add this mineral to the diet.

Minerals interact with one another and too much of one, can cause a deficiency in another. Copper needs to be balanced with zinc and iron. So, since the horses stopped chewing as a result of copper supplementation, it appears that this mineral was out of balance. But, care must be taken when supplementing one mineral, since another deficiency can result.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO