Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
best feed for a 18 yr old mare

Hi, I am adopting a mare that is 18 healthy but used to doing next to nothing my goal is to bring her back into riding shape and would liek to know what is the best feed to be giving her. Previous owners said she was just eating grass hay with a handful of grain which she rarely ate although they did say it had pellets in it and she doesnt like them..
Any advice ??
Thank you

Where are you from? St Helens , Oregon

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: best feed for a 18 yr old mare

Hi Sherri,

Congratulations on your new mare! The best way to feed her would be to allow her to graze on pasture and/or hay 24/7, and provide her with a comprehensive multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that meets her needs. Due to her age, I would highly recommend Reitsport or Reitsport HA-100 since this will cover all the bases, and fill in any gaps. It will keep her joints healthy, her immune system working properly, give her a glowing coat, and keep her feet strong.

You can add this product to a meal that is low in starch, such as soaked beet pulp, or some alfalfa pellets.

Enjoy!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO