Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
rice bran

I am in the process of changing my horses to flax meal(NutraFlax). I have been feeding rice bran along with the HorseGuard Mega vitamins/minerals and alfalfa grass hay 30/70. I would like to know if there would be more benefits to keep feeding the rice bran with flax meal?

Happy Holidays

Re: rice bran

Dr. Getty, I have another question. Would I be feeding enough rice bran at a pound a day to get adequate omega 3 and nutrition? These two boys are in real good flesh. These two will also get four ounces of NutraFlax too. I just wondered about the nutrition afterwards.

Have the best Holidays!

Re: rice bran

Hi Kasey,

I would suggest sticking with the Nutra Flax. The rice bran is not high in omega 3s (Nutra Flax is very high in omega 3s), but is a good source of monounsaturated fatty acids and is helpful in keeping weight on or with gaining weight. So, since your horses are of good weight, there is no need to add rice bran with the flaxseed meal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO