Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
cushings and choke

I have a 25 year old horse that is currently on evitex for choke which seems to be helping. I just had him tested for cushings disease as a cause of the choke but he does not have that. He has the beginnings of cushings the vet believes with fatty spots and curly coat on his withers. Is their a popular link between choke and cushings? What can I do to provide him with the best care? He gets his teeth done every six months, fed hay, senior grain and hay extender pellets. He is on evitex, joint supplement (for arthritis)and electrolytes to encourage him to drink more water. Any ideas? Nicole

Where are you from? maine

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: cushings and choke

Hi Nicole,

Choke is not a clinical sign of Cushings so I cannot address that specifically. Choke is more common in aging horses, so your horse may be suffering from age-related problems.

However, you did mention that your horse is being fed a senior "grain" feed. If this is grain-based -- meaning it contains a cereal grain such as oats, barley, corn, etc., you should discontinue feeding it.

Your horse does have clinical signs of cushings and/or insulin resistance, so it is very important to eliminate starch and sugars from the diet. Feed instead, a low starch feed such as Triple Crown Low Starch. And, add additional magnesium and chromium to the diet. I highly recommend Quiessence.

Thank you for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO