Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bucking horse nutrition

I am doing a report for school about the correct care and nutrition of a bucking horse. Is there a difference between the care and nutrition of a bucking horse and a regular (ranch) horse? I have searched for hours and can not find anything on bucking horses in this area. Everything that reguards nutrition or care does not mention anything about bucking horses. Can you lead me in the right direction, or give me some insight? I would greatly appreciate it. Katrina

Where are you from? Butte Montana

How did you locate this forum? internet search for horse nutrition

Re: bucking horse nutrition

I sure can't think of any resaons a bucking horse would have any special nutritional needs other than joint support. Why don't you Google some rodeo stock contractors (like Neal Gay in Texas) and ask how they care for their bucking stock?

Where are you from? Poolville Tx

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS

Re: bucking horse nutrition

Hi Katrina,

The only difference would be the level of exercise and stress, both mental and to the joints (as Pam mentioned). So, this type of activity would require more calories in the diet as well as adequate B vitamins for keeping the digestive system healthy during stress. And, a diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids would be best to maintain joint health.

Good luck with your project!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO