Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
poor horse

Hi Dr.Getty, my name is Oliva Chenevert. I have a 6 year old quarter horse that is very hard to put weight on, he has been at a horrible trainers ranch, and has not been turned out. I just got him back home and i turned him out in a pasture with plenty of grass and hay. Do u have any recommendations to me, on how to put weight on him. Also i wanted to ask u if u would suggest getting him scoped for gastric ulcers, because he has been confined to a stall!!!
Thanks,
Olivia

Where are you from? louisiana

How did you locate this forum? just searching on the internet

Re: poor horse

Hello Olivia,

I'm sorry to hear about what your horse has endured but I'm very pleased that he is now at home with you so he can heal.

He very likely has an ulcer due to his stalling experience and this can be a major contributor toward weight loss. In addition to pasture and grass hay, offer some alfalfa. This will boost protein quality and alfalfa also serves as a buffering agent.

You'll want to give him a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement that is also high in omega 3 fatty acids. Consider Glanzen is he gets fresh pasture most of the day or Glanzen Complete if he is mostly on hay.

You could have him scoped, but I think it's safe to assume that he has an ulcer. Stalled horses can develop ulcers within 5 days of this type of stress. So, consider giving him a wonderful preparation that will soothe his stomach and help it heal, called AmiQuell.

Finally, add Ration Plus to his diet to help him derive more calories from his forage.

This is where I would start. See how he does for a few weeks and then if we need to take a closer look at his specific situation, let me know and we can arrange for a phone consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO