Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Protein required for high performance horse that is an air fern

Dr. Getty,

My 16 year old FEI level dressage horse is a VERY easy keeper. He works hard at GrandPrix level work 5 days per week. He has a tendency toward IR and Ulcers, gets fat pads easily so consequently he gets almost no concentrates. On your advice, I feed him free choice grass hay (from a small mesh hay bag) that has been analyzed at 8.1% protein. I have tried to give him a little alfalfa to add protein and help with ulcers but he blows up like a balloon!
He is on ReitSport 100 HA Lite, 4oz per day, plus 1 oz Body Builder. He gets 1# of Triple Crown Lite and about 2 cups of soaked alfalfa pellets to make enough slurry to hide the supplements in per day. I feel he needs more protein to build muscle and want to add the Triple Crown 30% supplement. Is that okay and if so, how much to feed so he gets adequate protein but doesn't get vit/minerals out of balance?

Thanks for your great help!

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Protein required for high performance horse that is an air fern

sorry, I meant to say he is eating 1# Triple Crown Low Starch not TC Lite.

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Protein required for high performance horse that is an air fern

Hi Camille,

If you switch to TC 30%, you can stop feeding alfalfa, since this supplement is high in soybean meal (also a legume). The feeding directions state 2 lbs per day for a heavily exercised horse.

Take a close look at your horse's stress level. Stress is a major cause of obesity simply because the stress hormone, cortisol, causes insulin resistance. And an insulin resistant horse cannot efficiently burn fat for energy -- the cells simply will not let go of fat.

The fact that he has ulcers indicates that stress is likely a factor. Alfalfa pellets are not as good at buffering (for ulcers) as hay or even cubes. So, for now, go with the TC 30%, help your horse be a horse as much as is possible with as much turnout as possible, time with a buddy, and perhaps a break so he can recuperate. He'll be better in the long run.

One product I highly recommend is AmiQuell -- this herbal preparation soothes and heals the digestive lining.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Camille
sorry, I meant to say he is eating 1# Triple Crown Low Starch not TC Lite.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO