Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horse eating hoof trimmings

Hello Dr Getty,

A client of my just got a new horse that came from Oklahoma. I was trimming him yesterday when he started eating the hoof trimmings. I went back today to touch up the trim and he started eating the trimmings again. He looks very healthy, a good body score, hair coat looks good. I can't help but think he must be missing something in his diet. Any ideas. Thanks

Where are you from? Florida

Re: Horse eating hoof trimmings

Hi Billy,

The first thing that comes to mind whenever a horse chews on non-feed items, is his need to chew to relieve the discomfort of an empty stomach. As you know, their stomachs release acid continuously, so if this particular horse did not have access to hay, free-choice, it is logical that he would chew on hoof trimmings to produce saliva (a natural antacid).

If this is not the situation, he may be iron-deficient. Iron deficiency anemia is quite uncommon in horses since forage (hay and pasture) is very high in iron. However, in rare cases, I have come accross hay samples that are low in this mineral. Or, if the horse has an ulcer, the internal bleeding can result in anemia (iron deficiency variety -- there are other types of anemia).

Finally, eating the hoof trimmings may be out of pure curiosity.

Interesting question!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Billy Blackman
Hello Dr Getty,

A client of my just got a new horse that came from Oklahoma. I was trimming him yesterday when he started eating the hoof trimmings. I went back today to touch up the trim and he started eating the trimmings again. He looks very healthy, a good body score, hair coat looks good. I can't help but think he must be missing something in his diet. Any ideas. Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hello Dr Getty,

Maybe this could be the answer to my client's horse eating his own hoof trimmings, not during one visit, but all followup visits.

www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/meateatinghorses-190.shtml

Dr. Getty
Hi Billy,

The first thing that comes to mind whenever a horse chews on non-feed items, is his need to chew to relieve the discomfort of an empty stomach. As you know, their stomachs release acid continuously, so if this particular horse did not have access to hay, free-choice, it is logical that he would chew on hoof trimmings to produce saliva (a natural antacid).

If this is not the situation, he may be iron-deficient. Iron deficiency anemia is quite uncommon in horses since forage (hay and pasture) is very high in iron. However, in rare cases, I have come accross hay samples that are low in this mineral. Or, if the horse has an ulcer, the internal bleeding can result in anemia (iron deficiency variety -- there are other types of anemia).

Interesting question!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Billy Blackman
Hello Dr Getty,

Hi Billy,

You're joking, right?

I've never seen anything so preposterous -- why would horses have a large fermentation vat if they were not herbivorous? Seems to me, these poor horses were driven insane by neglect, starvation and abuse to make them behave the way they did (assuming it is true).

When I thought I'd seen everything, I'm always surprised...

Dr. Getty

Billy Blackman
Hello Dr Getty,

Maybe this could be the answer to my client's horse eating his own hoof trimmings, not during one visit, but all followup visits.

www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/meateatinghorses-190.shtml

Dr. Getty
Hi Billy,

Interesting question!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Billy Blackman
Hello Dr Getty,

That way my way of thinking, too. Horses do not have the equipment to not only digest meats, but also haven't been equipped by nature to catch and hold other prey animals.

Hi Billy -- Agreed!

They do produce digestive enzymes to digest protein (from all sources, including meat) but their teeth, hooves, etc. are definitely not those of a predator. Plus, their large cecum is designed as such because they are herbivorous.

Interesting discussion!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Billy Blackman
That way my way of thinking, too. Horses do not have the equipment to not only digest meats, but also haven't been equipped by nature to catch and hold other prey animals.