Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding Help!

I have an almost 5 year old gelding who gets worked about 45 minutes to an hour a day, five to six days a week (mostly dressage with some light jumping and light conditioning work outdoors).

I moved him from pasture board to a paddock this year (no choice, barn eliminated the pasture board) and he has become very high strung now that his play time is restricted to riding and a little turnout vs. free play in the pasture all day.

Besides trying to get him more turn out time, I am wondering if there is change in his diet that I can make that will help calm him down? He currently eats 1 large flake of oat hay and 1 large flake of alfalfa in the morning and at night. I feel like he may be getting more energy than he can realistically expend.

I was thinking of switching him over completely to the grass hay the farm offers perhaps adding in a grain and supplements like Platinum Performance, B-Vitamins and/or Electrolytes.

Any ideas?

Where are you from? Northern CA

How did you locate this forum? Google

Re: Feeding Help!

Hello Nicku,

The best thing you can do for your horse is to provide grass hay, 24/7 -- he should never have an empty stomach. An empty stomach is very uncomfortable, even painful, due to the constant secretion of acid.

So, give him the grass hay you have available, and then offer some alfalfa once a day. Oat hay is not very nutritious.

And allow as much pasture turnout as possible. The change in his environment is very likely the cause of his behavioral change.

Supplementation is important with hay, since hay has lost much of its vitamin content. Platinum Performance is fine but I prefer Glanzen Complete since it does not have iron (horses get enough iron from forage) and is higher in vitamin E and B vitamins (which his nervous system needs). You might also try adding MMX to his diet to fill in any possible magnesium deficiency.

Electrolytes are only necessary if he is sweating. They replace what is lost in sweat but they are not meant to replace salt. The horse needs to be in good sodium (salt) balance before providing an electrolyte. So, be sure there is a plain, white salt block in his living area, along with granulated salt offered free choice in a nearby bucket.

I believe you will find my book, Feed Your Horse Like A Horse, to be very helpful in addressing your concerns.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Nicku
I have an almost 5 year old gelding who gets worked about 45 minutes to an hour a day, five to six days a week (mostly dressage with some light jumping and light conditioning work outdoors).

I moved him from pasture board to a paddock this year (no choice, barn eliminated the pasture board) and he has become very high strung now that his play time is restricted to riding and a little turnout vs. free play in the pasture all day.

Besides trying to get him more turn out time, I am wondering if there is change in his diet that I can make that will help calm him down? He currently eats 1 large flake of oat hay and 1 large flake of alfalfa in the morning and at night. I feel like he may be getting more energy than he can realistically expend.

I was thinking of switching him over completely to the grass hay the farm offers perhaps adding in a grain and supplements like Platinum Performance, B-Vitamins and/or Electrolytes.

Any ideas?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO