Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rotating Hay??

My horse is at a boarding facility, and while they love the horses I am concerned over the feeding regiment. The hay is EXTREMELY inconsistent. Rich, heavy, grass hay (almost like lawn clippings) one day. Then a grass mix. Then this straw-like hay that hurts my fingers when I even touch it. I talked with the mangement about the need for consistency to prevent colic and ulcers...among many other adverse effects, but to no avail. They told me that a horse that is going to colic is one that is prone to it, and that rotating is a healthy practice. I don't want to blow this out of proportion if it is no big deal...HELP!!

Where are you from? il

How did you locate this forum? searching online

Re: Rotating Hay??

Hello!

Thank you for your patience.

I share your concern and completely disagree with your barn manager. It is not true that some horses are prone toward colic more than others. Their environment, diet, and overall health is what makes them succumb to colic.

Plus, rotation of hay sources is not the best situation because each time you change, the bacterial flora in the hindgut have to readjust. This can lead to colic.

So, my recommendation is to find a barn that provides hay that is consistent in quality or perhaps buy and store your own hay.

I am sorry I cannot be more optimistic -- but the good news is that your horse has you, and you can hopefully make changes to improve his health as well as reduce his risk of colic.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

help!
My horse is at a boarding facility, and while they love the horses I am concerned over the feeding regiment. The hay is EXTREMELY inconsistent. Rich, heavy, grass hay (almost like lawn clippings) one day. Then a grass mix. Then this straw-like hay that hurts my fingers when I even touch it. I talked with the mangement about the need for consistency to prevent colic and ulcers...among many other adverse effects, but to no avail. They told me that a horse that is going to colic is one that is prone to it, and that rotating is a healthy practice. I don't want to blow this out of proportion if it is no big deal...HELP!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO