Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cushings

Have owned a mustang mare for short of 2 years. 3 years ago she was severely underfed, malnourished and took owners less than a year to get her weight back up. We were given her shortly after (not knowing this info) and she has recently slowly increasingly not been "right." Her past 2 Cushings tests were normal (last one was 5/2010) but her poopy nature and subtle soreness/depression had me scratching my head this spring. She is now Cushings with 141 as ACTH number. Am looking to purchase Balance EQ and LinPro for her, put her on low carb feed (she was getting hay stretchers with supplements)and some other misc. supps (garlic, vit e and c which she's been on) but I'm wondering what would be a safe and effective pain reliever for her? I see SO much contradictory info. Alfalfa is good, alfalfa is bad. She is not IR, no founder or crestiness, a little longer coat this year, subtle overall soreness, very recent increased urination and beginning of muscle atrophy. She is on pasture as that is all we have. My vet feels I needn't worry about that, and getting her on pergolide will help control the malfunctioning pituitary gland. Wondering what I could give her for pain relief? Cat's claw? I've read yucca and MSM are potentially not good for cushings horses. Thanks!

Where are you from? mason nh

How did you locate this forum? have followed dr. getty for years...use her products, etc.

Re: Cushings

Hi Jude,

There has been some discussion about yucca not being appropriate for insulin resistant horses, but the evidence is sketchy. MSM however, does work well as an anti-inflammatory agent.

A good approach would be a low starch diet. That means no cereal grain (nothing made from oats, corn, barley, etc.) and certainly no sweet feeds or treats that are high in sugar (even carrots and apples are too high in sugar).

A low starch feed, along either flaxseed meal (high in omega 3s for inflammation reduction) or a vitamin/mineral supplement that is flaxseed meal based, such as Glanzen Lite Complete to fill in the nutritional gaps of hay.

Your hay should be analyzed, as well, to make certain that it is low in sugar and starch. You can send a sample to Equi-Analytical Labs to obtain an economical analysis. Here is their website: www.equi-analytical.com.

The best way I can help you would be to schedule a phone consultation. That way I can spend time going over everything she's eating, along with her medical treatments, her history, exercise, environment, etc.

In the meantime, I highly recommend that you register for the recorded teleseminar, "Nutritional Management of Equine Cushing's Disease." You can listen to it on your computer or download (to your computer or iPod). Here is the link for more information: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/teleseminars/registration.htm

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

jude
Have owned a mustang mare for short of 2 years. 3 years ago she was severely underfed, malnourished and took owners less than a year to get her weight back up. We were given her shortly after (not knowing this info) and she has recently slowly increasingly not been "right." Her past 2 Cushings tests were normal (last one was 5/2010) but her poopy nature and subtle soreness/depression had me scratching my head this spring. She is now Cushings with 141 as ACTH number. Am looking to purchase Balance EQ and LinPro for her, put her on low carb feed (she was getting hay stretchers with supplements)and some other misc. supps (garlic, vit e and c which she's been on) but I'm wondering what would be a safe and effective pain reliever for her? I see SO much contradictory info. Alfalfa is good, alfalfa is bad. She is not IR, no founder or crestiness, a little longer coat this year, subtle overall soreness, very recent increased urination and beginning of muscle atrophy. She is on pasture as that is all we have. My vet feels I needn't worry about that, and getting her on pergolide will help control the malfunctioning pituitary gland. Wondering what I could give her for pain relief? Cat's claw? I've read yucca and MSM are potentially not good for cushings horses. Thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO