Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
growth potential

I have a 5 year old mare that seems to have not gotten the best nutrition in her earlier years . She is not grossly undersized , but I feel she hasn't reached her growth potential. Is there anything I can do now to encourage any possible growth in height or bone mass that there might be at this stage ? Thanks !

Where are you from? slippery rock pa.

How did you locate this forum? searching for equine nutritionists

Re: growth potential

Hello Linda,

Poor nutrition during the growth years can have negative consequences on the mature horse's overall size and bone structure. However, many horses continue to grow slightly beyond 5 years of age. So, there may be some opportunity to improve her situation.

You want to make certain that she is getting a high quality protein. The best way to do this is to offer a quality grass hay, free choice, along with approximately 30% alfalfa. The mixture of grass with a legume (alfalfa) offers enough amino acids for your mare to use for muscle, bone, and other tissues. In addition, the alfalfa will provide valuable minerals for growth.

If you are feeding a commercially fortified feed, be sure that it contains at least 14% protein. If you are feeding it according to directions, you won't necessarily need additional vitamins and minerals but take a look at the amount of vitamin D and vitamin E. She needs approximately 1.5 to 3 IU of vitamin E per pound of body weight. And, if she is not getting at least 8 hours per day of sunlight, be sure her supplement offers at least 1,000 IU of vitamin D. If you are feeding less than recommended levels, consider adding a comprehensive supplement. Glanzen Complete is worth considering.

Finally, if you can have your hay analyzed, examine her lysine level. She should have at least 70 grams per day. If you cannot have it analyzed, evaluate what is in her feed and assume an average value of 0.40% lysine in her hay. Then supplement the difference with a lysine supplement.

This ought to get you started. If you find that you'd like my help in going over the details of her diet, as well as the rest of her environment, exercise, history, etc. to customize a plan, let me know and we can set up a consultation appointment.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

linda
I have a 5 year old mare that seems to have not gotten the best nutrition in her earlier years . She is not grossly undersized , but I feel she hasn't reached her growth potential. Is there anything I can do now to encourage any possible growth in height or bone mass that there might be at this stage ? Thanks !

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO