Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Joint supplement

Hi Dr. Getty

I have a 19 year old quarter horse gelding that was diagnosed with arthritis in his right hip. He is on pasture and 2 grams on bute per day for the pain. I would like to know which is the best joint supplement to put him on cause there are hundreds out there,I don't want to waste my money and nobody around here has enough knowledge to help me. Also I don't live where my horse is so a once daily supplement would be best. Also if he has no problem putting on or for that matter taking of weight does he need to be on senior feed or supplements? Please help.

Where are you from? Saskatchewan, Canada

How did you locate this forum? By accident

Re: Joint supplement

Hello Kim,

Since your horse is 19, the first place I would start is to provide vitamin C and omega 3 fatty acids, rather than a joint supplement. Vitamin C is necessary for the production of collagen -- the protein found in joints and bones. And as horses age, they do not produce enough vitamin C. So give him 15,000 mg per day, building up to this level over a couple of week's time. I recommend C-442.

And Nutra Flax is a flaxseed meal product that is stabilized and has a small amount of calcium added to correct for the naturally high levels of phosphorus found in flax. Flaxseed meal is very high in Omega 3s, which reduce inflammation, and hence pain. Give him 1 scoop (1/2 cup) per 400 lbs of body weight.

After doing this for a couple of months, if you still need a joint supplement, we can look into what's best. Since you're in Canada, I don't know what products you have locally. So, if you want to look around and have a couple that you are considering, let me know and I'll look at them.

I believe you will find the upcoming teleseminar, "Joints Supplements -- So Many Choices!" to be interesting and helpful. Here is the link for more details and to register: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/teleseminars/registration.htm. You do not need to call in, since you'll be able to listen or download the recorded event the next day. And you can still email me your questions to gettyequinenutrition@gmail.com about specific supplements or additional questions.

Regarding a senior feed -- it is only necessary if he needs to maintain weight with more calories than hay or pasture can provide. But, with hay, or less than 8 hours of grazing on healthy pasture (which I expect is starting to go dormant about now), you'll want to add a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps that exist in hay.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim Fehr
Hi Dr. Getty

I have a 19 year old quarter horse gelding that was diagnosed with arthritis in his right hip. He is on pasture and 2 grams on bute per day for the pain. I would like to know which is the best joint supplement to put him on cause there are hundreds out there,I don't want to waste my money and nobody around here has enough knowledge to help me. Also I don't live where my horse is so a once daily supplement would be best. Also if he has no problem putting on or for that matter taking of weight does he need to be on senior feed or supplements? Please help.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO