Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
self regulating hay

Dr Getty, I purchased your book, and I have been feeding for 8 weeks now, orchard grass hay in a 4' x 4' box with 2"x2" grid. 24 hours a day. I have one QH and two mini's. These guys have not left the box since. They get pasture time as well. The Horse gets 6 hours total and the mini's get 4 hours total with muzzles. At what point will they walk away? The horse will not eat his supplements along with alfalfa pellets any longer. Prefers to just eat the hay. I love the convince of feeding them this way. But when is enough a enough? Has anyone else had this problem?
They are not getting any walking around time, because they are to busy eating.
They are not stressed, and are eating very slow. Just not leaving it. The horse won't even walk away to relief himself. Just picks up his tail....I am ready to quit.
Help!!

Where are you from? nj

How did you locate this forum? purchased the book

Re: self regulating hay

Dr Getty, I am still waiting for my guys to walk away from the feeder. Its been since Aug that I started feeding hay 24/7. I had my hay tested and its 12.5 total from wsc and starch. I also cut the hay with less quality hay to lower their intake. They all have gained a lot of weight, not including the hay belly they now all have. The horse won't eat his vitamins flax any longer. I need help here.
thanks!

How did you locate this forum? purchased the book

Re: self regulating hay

Hi Doreen,

I can certainly understand your frustration. A couple of things you mentioned peaked my interest...

First, you mentioned that they are on pasture part of the time. Pasture, especially this time of year, is very, very high in sugar and starch and will significantly influence weight (as well as risk laminitis).

You also mentioned grazing muzzles. These do cause stress even if the horse is rather laid back about it. And stress keeps the horse overweight. Plus, even the little amount of high sugar pasture that the horse is getting through the hole in the grazing muzzle, can significantly impact the weight.

One key is to give them reason to move. Take them for a walk, if you can. Scatter slow feeder hay nets all over the place -- as much as possible.

Also you may want to have the hay retested. It is often difficult to get a representative sample. Pick up clumps of hay along the inside the entire length of the bale -- from two or three bales. And for your horses, less than 10% NSC may be necessary.

I commend you for your patience -- this is definitely taking longer than usual. There is something about your hay that is very attractive and that's why I say it may need to be retested.

Please continue to keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Doreen
Dr Getty, I am still waiting for my guys to walk away from the feeder. Its been since Aug that I started feeding hay 24/7. I had my hay tested and its 12.5 total from wsc and starch. I also cut the hay with less quality hay to lower their intake. They all have gained a lot of weight, not including the hay belly they now all have. The horse won't eat his vitamins flax any longer. I need help here.
thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO