Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ouchy feet easy keeper

Hi,
My 10 year old quarter horse is a very easy keeper. One year ago I took him off a ration balancer and started using small mesh hay nets (which never empty completely before the next feeding) on my track for feeding hay. I even soaked hay at night to help him lose weight. He has lost about 80 pounds. I am no longer soaking hay. He is exercised an average of 1 hour six days a week. He does not have a cresty neck, but he does have what I would call an "apple" rump -- dividing line between two well rounded lobes. That has gone down with the weight loss but not completely disappeared. T4 test was normal. He has been eating Equipride for several months and 2 weeks ago I added Glanzen Lite thinking a hoof supplement might help his ouchy hooves. He is very gimpy and short strided when walking on any gravel surface. His energy level is also very low. I'm so frustrated because my other horse (saddlebred mare) has none of these problems and they are both kept at my home and treated the same (except she gets a small scoop of dried raspberry leaves each day) and trimmed by the same person. I hate complicated and expensive feeding and supplementation, that being said, I have been contemplating Quiessence for the last 2 months but haven't bought it yet thinking I should give the Glanzen Lite more time.
I feel a bit over my head and could use some advice.
Thanks,
Kim

Where are you from? Stillwater, MN

Re: Ouchy feet easy keeper

Hi Kim,

Let me first commend you for the fine job you are doing. I am very pleased that you are feeding hay, free-choice and a slow feeder is an excellent plan.

What immediately comes to mind is that your horse is deficient in several key vitamins -- namely vitamin E, C, beta carotene (used to make vitamin A), and vitamin D. Hay has none of these and it is very important to supplement them. Glanzen Lite does not contain them either, which is why I like Glanzen Lite Complete, which starts with Glanzen Lite and adds these vital nutrients. So, I highly recommend giving him two scoops of Glanzen Lite Complete per day and see how he does in a couple of months.

Quiessence is also a good idea, to provide additional magnesium and chromium. Regional fat deposits, such as what your horse has, are an indication of insulin resistance. So, give him 2 to 3 scoops per day.

Finally, have your hay analyzed. If the %NSC is too high, it can be contributing to laminitis risk. It is very important that the %NSC be below 12% (add %WSC + %Starch on your report to get %NSC).

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim
Hi,
My 10 year old quarter horse is a very easy keeper. One year ago I took him off a ration balancer and started using small mesh hay nets (which never empty completely before the next feeding) on my track for feeding hay. I even soaked hay at night to help him lose weight. He has lost about 80 pounds. I am no longer soaking hay. He is exercised an average of 1 hour six days a week. He does not have a cresty neck, but he does have what I would call an "apple" rump -- dividing line between two well rounded lobes. That has gone down with the weight loss but not completely disappeared. T4 test was normal. He has been eating Equipride for several months and 2 weeks ago I added Glanzen Lite thinking a hoof supplement might help his ouchy hooves. He is very gimpy and short strided when walking on any gravel surface. His energy level is also very low. I'm so frustrated because my other horse (saddlebred mare) has none of these problems and they are both kept at my home and treated the same (except she gets a small scoop of dried raspberry leaves each day) and trimmed by the same person. I hate complicated and expensive feeding and supplementation, that being said, I have been contemplating Quiessence for the last 2 months but haven't bought it yet thinking I should give the Glanzen Lite more time.
I feel a bit over my head and could use some advice.
Thanks,
Kim

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO