Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Quiessence question

Hi Dr Getty,

I was wondering how long a horse should be on Quiessence? Can they be on it indefinitely or should it only be until you see signs of improvement?

Where are you from? ct

Re: Quiessence question

Hi Jeni,

Good question! Magnesium (the main ingredient in Quiessence), should be balanced with calcium. This is generally not an issue when grass hay (and especially some alfalfa) is fed and therefore, the dosage for insulin resistance is 1 ounce scoop per 250 lbs of body weight (half that for behavioral or muscle problems)

So, if your horse has a cresty neck, for example, give this amount of Quiessence until you start to notice an improvement and then reduce the amount of Quiessence to a maintenance dose of 1 scoop per 500 lbs of body weight. If his neck starts to develop more fat, you can increase it.

But a high level of magnesium should not be maintained indefinitely due to the risk of enteroliths (intestinal stones). It is best to evaluate your hay for calcium and magnesium levels. Magnesium is poorly absorbed, so I generally go with a 50% absorption rate. For example, if 20 lbs of your hay provides 10 grams of magnesium, I assume that only 50% of it (or 5 grams) is actually absorbed. Then, I supplement Quiessence to give enough magnesium to reach half the calcium level. If 20 lbs of your hay provides 30 grams of calcium, I'll supplement 10 more grams of magnesium (to bring the total to 15 grams) so it is half the calcium level.

I hope all these numbers didn't confuse you! Bottom line... full dose of Quiessence until you see improvement and then a maintenance dose is best.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like a Horse

jeni
Hi Dr Getty,

I was wondering how long a horse should be on Quiessence? Can they be on it indefinitely or should it only be until you see signs of improvement?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO