Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Selenium..am I at risk?

We have 3 horses in with 7 bulls and were looking for a protein tub to feed the bulls. We found one of Orwig's #9 tubs to feed to the bulls, but we are concerned about the selenium level in it. It says it is 9ppm. Is that too much? Some other high levels in the tub are: Copper 2200ppm, Manganese 3300ppm, Zinc 4300ppm, Vit A 250,000 IU/lb, Vit D3 40,000 IU/lb, and Vit E 1000 IU/lb. Those are the high levels. The reason we have them together is we have one freeze free watering spot, and were trying to keep from braking ice. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Where are you from? Wray, CO

How did you locate this forum? Browsing the Internet

Re: Selenium..am I at risk?

Hello Perry,

The selenium level may or may not be too high for horses, depending on how much they consume. If they consume 1 lb per day, this level of selenium would provide 4.09 mg of selenium. Combine this with any other sources of selenium (hay or commercial feeds, for example) and you'll be getting too high (I like to limit selenium intake to no more than 5 mg per day).

Let me know how much of this product the horses are consuming, and I can give you a more accurate selenium intake.

Best wishes for the new year,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Perry
We have 3 horses in with 7 bulls and were looking for a protein tub to feed the bulls. We found one of Orwig's #9 tubs to feed to the bulls, but we are concerned about the selenium level in it. It says it is 9ppm. Is that too much? Some other high levels in the tub are: Copper 2200ppm, Manganese 3300ppm, Zinc 4300ppm, Vit A 250,000 IU/lb, Vit D3 40,000 IU/lb, and Vit E 1000 IU/lb. Those are the high levels. The reason we have them together is we have one freeze free watering spot, and were trying to keep from braking ice. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO