Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Connemara Crunch?

Hi,
Im wanting to switch my 14yr old QH mare to a low starch feed instead of the Sweet Feed that the barn uses... (I dont think i would classify her as an easy keeper or a hard keeper, she is in the middle... She holds her weight "ok" with 2#'s Sweet Feed plus 24/7 Pasture plus Free Choice Grass Hay.) My trimmer suggested the following feed to me.

Connemara Crunch Horse Feed, 50 lb. Bag.

Crude protein, minimum 19.00%
Crude fat, minimum 2.50%
Crude fiber, maximum 13.00%

INGREDIENTS

Organic Field Peas, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Rice Bran, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Shell Flour, Yeast Culture, Selenium Yeast, Roughage Products (Rice Hulls), Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Methionine Complex, Manganese Methione Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Cobolt Glucoheptonate, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Vegetable Oil, Dextrose, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Pruduct, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product, Bromelain, Dried Rhizopus Oryzae Fermentation Product.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS:
Feed as needed to supplement nutritional intake.

Does this appear to you to be a complete feed? Any dislikes? I cant find the NSC levels on their website, so im thinking i will need to email the company...
Thanks in Advance :)

Where are you from? VA

How did you locate this forum? Dr Getty's Book :)

Re: Connemara Crunch?

Hi Yvonne,

I commend you for wanting to remove the sweet feed from your horse's diet! This feed, however, will not meet his vitamin needs since it is only supplemented with minerals and probiotics. It is also very high in protein (19%) which is okay in small amounts. But, if you are looking for a commercially fortified feed to fill in the nutritional gaps found with hay-only diets, this would not be a good choice. You want something that has vitamin E, Vitamin A (or beta carotene), and vitamin D. And of course, any feed that has these vitamins would need to be fed according to recommended levels (which may be too much) in order to get all the vitamins listed on the label.

If you have Triple Crown feeds available, go with Triple Crown Lite -- it is concentrated, so you don't need to feed as much of it and it has a very low %NSC (9.3%).

Thank you for writing and keep up the fine work!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Yvonne
Hi,
Im wanting to switch my 14yr old QH mare to a low starch feed instead of the Sweet Feed that the barn uses... (I dont think i would classify her as an easy keeper or a hard keeper, she is in the middle... She holds her weight "ok" with 2#'s Sweet Feed plus 24/7 Pasture plus Free Choice Grass Hay.) My trimmer suggested the following feed to me.

Connemara Crunch Horse Feed, 50 lb. Bag.

Crude protein, minimum 19.00%
Crude fat, minimum 2.50%
Crude fiber, maximum 13.00%

INGREDIENTS

Organic Field Peas, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Rice Bran, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Shell Flour, Yeast Culture, Selenium Yeast, Roughage Products (Rice Hulls), Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Methionine Complex, Manganese Methione Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Cobolt Glucoheptonate, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Vegetable Oil, Dextrose, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Pruduct, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product, Bromelain, Dried Rhizopus Oryzae Fermentation Product.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS:
Feed as needed to supplement nutritional intake.

Does this appear to you to be a complete feed? Any dislikes? I cant find the NSC levels on their website, so im thinking i will need to email the company...
Thanks in Advance

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you! (I have being stalking the forum, very anxious for your advice - my brain is being overloaded with all the different feeds ive being researching...)

I was looking into TC lite, it is available in my area, so i will give it a shot!
Thanks again, love your book, your website & your store ;)

Where are you from? VA

How did you locate this forum? Dr Getty's Book :)

Hi Yvonne,

I'm always glad to help. Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Yvonne
Thank you! (I have being stalking the forum, very anxious for your advice - my brain is being overloaded with all the different feeds ive being researching...)

I was looking into TC lite, it is available in my area, so i will give it a shot!
Thanks again, love your book, your website & your store

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO