Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trying to put weight on a horse with cushings

Hi! A friend asked me what to feed an underweight mare, who has foundered and has cushings. What are your thoughts? The horse is getting free-choice grass hay as I understand it.

Where are you from? Seattle, WA

How did you locate this forum? Google search while reading about nutrition

Re: Trying to put weight on a horse with cushings

Hello Monica,

Your first step would be to have the hay analyzed. This is to make certain that it is not too high in sugar and starch. I recommend contacting Equi-Analytical Labs and have them send you a forage collecting kit (which is just a freezer bag and order form). Once you know that the %NSC is below 12%, you can safely feed it, free-choice.

In addition, stay away from any cereal grain (anything that contains oats, wheat, barley) or grain byproducts such as wheat middlings. And feed flaxseed meal. Go with Nutra Flax because it does not have any added oats, like some other flax products have.

And a good pro/prebiotic is very important, as well, to help the bacteria living in the hindgut more efficiently digest forage (to provide calories for weight gain). I like SynBiotic EQ for this situation.

These are some suggestions that will get you on the right track. But, if you find it helpful for me to take a closer look at her situation in detail, please consider making a phone visit appointment.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Monica Meyette
Hi! A friend asked me what to feed an underweight mare, who has foundered and has cushings. What are your thoughts? The horse is getting free-choice grass hay as I understand it.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO