Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purina Professional Choice and Glanzen GL

Hello Dr. Getty, I would really like your advice. I have a 3 year old Paint owned since he was 3 months. He is on the small side, just 14.5. For the first 2 years he was boarded where he was feed 2 flakes of hey and half a scoop of the Purina Professional Choice along with Colt grow twice daily. I did not think he was getting the proper feeding for such a young horse so did some research to learn what would be better for him. I am so happy to have found your site. I have moved to a place that now will feed according to my instructions. Im feeding hey placed in nets, to last all day, along with 1/2 scoop of the Purina. This is twice daily. I've just purchased the Glanzen GL and will be adding it to the program.
My question is....am I feeding too much. My horse is worked 4 days out of the week.

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? net search

Re: Purina Professional Choice and Glanzen GL

Hi Foster,

I am delighted that he is not being fed the way his digestive system is designed -- with forage flowing through it at all times.

The only gap I see is that there are no vitamins to speak of in hay and the Glanzen GL does not have the vitamins E, C, D, and A (beta carotene) that exist in fresh grass before it was cut, dried, and stored as hay. So, instead of Glanzen GL, consider going with Glanzen GL Complete (scroll down to the very bottom of the page), since you are not feeding enough Purina go give him all the nutrients he requires.

Be sure to add some alfalfa to the mix -- the protein quality of grass hay alone is generally inadequate.

Keep up the fine work!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Foster
Hello Dr. Getty, I would really like your advice. I have a 3 year old Paint owned since he was 3 months. He is on the small side, just 14.5. For the first 2 years he was boarded where he was feed 2 flakes of hey and half a scoop of the Purina Professional Choice along with Colt grow twice daily. I did not think he was getting the proper feeding for such a young horse so did some research to learn what would be better for him. I am so happy to have found your site. I have moved to a place that now will feed according to my instructions. Im feeding hey placed in nets, to last all day, along with 1/2 scoop of the Purina. This is twice daily. I've just purchased the Glanzen GL and will be adding it to the program.
My question is....am I feeding too much. My horse is worked 4 days out of the week.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO