Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NSC info

I have found that almost all of the major feed websites have an 'ask the expert' type forum. I have gone on all of them to find the NSC of various feeds, that I can buy in my area. Here in UPstate NY, its hard to find all of the feeds. But, that being said, I know that Purina has some wt control feeds. My vet says they are for people who want to be able to feed their horses 'grain'. Like they want to be able to feed a 'scoop' and feel like a good mother. ( I like to do that) They work well and have a low NCS. You can check the site to get the exact amount. I have been feeding a Nutrena feed called ' Lite Balancer Pellet" it is a 9%-10% NSC. I give my IR mare about a 1/4 of a scoop and her smartPak Ir pellets, she has free choice poor calorie hay and she is doing well. The Nutrena feed has more 'stuff' like minerals etc in it and all of my horses seem to be doing well on it. (Normal horses get more feed) So just shop around on the sites and ask them what the NSC is. The IR seminar was well worth the $15. Thanks

Where are you from? Upstate NY, farm country

How did you locate this forum? from website

Re: NSC info

Hi Linda,

You've done a great job with your research!

The only thing that comes to mind in your discussion is the fact that your horse is not getting all the vitamins and minerals listed on the label if you feed a small amount. You would need to feed it according to the recommended amounts (which I don't suggest you do -- that would be too much) in order to get the full dose of vitamins and minerals.

Therefore, you can use these low NSC feeds as carriers and add a comprehensive supplement to fill in the gaps. If you need suggestions, let me know.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the teleseminar.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Linda Palmatier
I have found that almost all of the major feed websites have an 'ask the expert' type forum. I have gone on all of them to find the NSC of various feeds, that I can buy in my area. Here in UPstate NY, its hard to find all of the feeds. But, that being said, I know that Purina has some wt control feeds. My vet says they are for people who want to be able to feed their horses 'grain'. Like they want to be able to feed a 'scoop' and feel like a good mother. ( I like to do that) They work well and have a low NCS. You can check the site to get the exact amount. I have been feeding a Nutrena feed called ' Lite Balancer Pellet" it is a 9%-10% NSC. I give my IR mare about a 1/4 of a scoop and her smartPak Ir pellets, she has free choice poor calorie hay and she is doing well. The Nutrena feed has more 'stuff' like minerals etc in it and all of my horses seem to be doing well on it. (Normal horses get more feed) So just shop around on the sites and ask them what the NSC is. The IR seminar was well worth the $15. Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO