Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
selecting a low starch commercial feed

Dr. Getty,
I have a 19 year old horse with PPID and I am trying to find a low starch/glycemic commercial feed to supplement his bermuda grass hay. He is currently boarded so a commercial feed is the best way for me to go. I have noticed that what one company considers a low starch feed can be very different from what another company does. Some feeds still contain corn meal and ground oats or have wheat middlings as the first ingredient (which I learned from your book are lower, but not low starch). I am considereing purina's wellsolve l/s but it contains wheat middlings and ground oat hulls (I couldn't find the starch content of these). Is calling the company and asking for the percent NSC the best way to choose a low starch feed? Or are there other things to look for? I know that there will probably not be the PERFECT food out there, but I want to find the best one. My other choices for companies include frm and seminole. Thanks for any tips!

Where are you from? Savannah, GA

How did you locate this forum? from your book

Re: selecting a low starch commercial feed

Hi Lindsay,

I can certainly understand your concern. Purina Wellsolve L/S is a good choice, even though it contains some wheat middlings, because it is the amount of wheat middlings that matters. The %NSC is a concentration and a small amount of non-structural carbohydrates in the overall package will keep the percentage low.

Triple Crown Lite is also a good choice, as well as Triple Crown Senior.

But with the other companies you mentioned, it is a good idea to call and ask the %NSC. You're looking for one with less than 13%.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lindsay
Dr. Getty,
I have a 19 year old horse with PPID and I am trying to find a low starch/glycemic commercial feed to supplement his bermuda grass hay. He is currently boarded so a commercial feed is the best way for me to go. I have noticed that what one company considers a low starch feed can be very different from what another company does. Some feeds still contain corn meal and ground oats or have wheat middlings as the first ingredient (which I learned from your book are lower, but not low starch). I am considereing purina's wellsolve l/s but it contains wheat middlings and ground oat hulls (I couldn't find the starch content of these). Is calling the company and asking for the percent NSC the best way to choose a low starch feed? Or are there other things to look for? I know that there will probably not be the PERFECT food out there, but I want to find the best one. My other choices for companies include frm and seminole. Thanks for any tips!

Where are you from? Waverly, OH