Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diet change

Hello Ann,

Thank you for writing and for your patience. I've been in the process of relocating to Ohio and am now finally able to answer the forum questions.

Thank you for reading my book and for your kind words. As you have likely noticed, I don't like feeding starchy feeds (the oats, you suggested) since horses do not require large amounts of starch. Heavily exercised horses (racehorses, for example) do benefit from some oats but yours are not in that category. Plus, your pony is genetically predisposed toward insulin resistance and starch should be removed as much as possible.

So, I like your diet in general, however, I would replace the oats with soaked beet pulp or hay pellets (timothy, or alfalfa, or a mixture of the two). Also, sunflower seeds are high in omega 6 fatty acids, and therefore can be inflammatory if fed in too high a quantity. You're balancing them with Nutra Flax, which is fine -- just do not overfeed.

Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Ann White
Want to change the diet of two Haflinger mares(not IR and are 10 and 11 years old) and a Classic Shetland mare (8 years old). They don't get a lot of exercise (now constructing a "Paddock Paradise")in winter conditions in Maine.This is the diet I have been thinking about....Whole Organic Oats as a base...High Point grass hay supplement...Nutra-Flax(or fresh ground)..Earth Song Ranch's Equine-Zyme (pre/probiotics)...Timothy/Grass hay...small amout of Organic Black Oil Sunflower Seeds(sproutable kind) Could you comment on this Diet! Oh..I bought your book(Feed Your Horse Like A Horse) and the details for reference on Equine Nutrition is extremely helpful!This book should be part of every horse person's Equine Library! Thank You, Ann White

Where are you from? Waverly, OH