Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Horse tested positive for Lyme's Disease

Hello Michele,

Since it's been almost a month since you wrote, I expect you will have him retested soon. I hope you don't need to give him another round of antibiotics. But, you are correct to be concerned about his hindgut bacterial population. A strong probiotic such as Daily Start is worthwhile at a double dose while on medication and for a couple of weeks following.

I hope you've been able to give him a probiotic during this time. I appreciate your patience in my getting back to you -- I have relocated from Colorado to Ohio.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Michele
Hi Dr. Getty,

We have talked before about my gelding with ringbone. Well.. he has tested positive for lymes disease (which could also account for some of his lameness). The vet prescribed Doxycycline 100mg tablets (50 tabs 2x a day) for 30 days. We will then retest him after the 30 day course. If he tests positive again then we will do another round of Doxy.

I am concerned what this might do to his stomach and gut. Should I be giving him Daily Start or is there another probiotic that might better protect his belly.

Thank you!

Where are you from? Waverly, OH