Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ponies and grazing muzzles?

Hi Cristine,

Thank you -- I am so appreciative of your kind words.

You will have a challenge ahead of you. Start with having your pasture tested. Follow the instructions on Equi-Analytical Lab's website for testing fresh pasture. You may find that you can allow your pony to graze during the night or better yet, in the early morning, before the sun gets high in the sky. Test at different times of day and get the worst case scenario by testing in the late afternoon on a sunny day.

A grazing muzzle is okay for a couple of hours as long as it doesn't cause stress and frustration. If it does, it leads to a hormonal response that keeps your animal fat and can even lead to laminitis.

And while in a dry lot (with hay), bring in his buddies to keep him happy.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Cristine Cameron
Dr.G., I went back and re-read parts of your book and have a much better understanding of ponies and their metabolisms. I love that book. Every time I re-read (for the 'umpteenth' time) a section I grasp a fact that I missed before. Thank you for such a great book. My dilemma now is that this pony is coming to live here this sunday and I am not sure how to keep him off pasture when my other two are out. How do other people do it? Do I have to lock him in my sacrifice area while S and S are out grazing? or do I use a grazing muzzle for a couple of hours or....? I don't want the little guy to feel like he is being punished while the big boys are out in the field. Can he have free choice hay all night? He is chubby now, not too bad. No cresty neck, but I certainly want to keep on top of that whole scenario. No feed other that vit/min needs??
Anyone that has had success keeping ponies lean and mean, please add your input. Thanks. Cristine and "Lightning".

Where are you from? Waverly, OH