Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
supplement advise

I have been utilizing your website to educate myself on better nutrition to provide my horses with the best care possible. I noticed some of the supplements that I am using are not endorsed in your store. I was wondering what your thoughts are on Heiro from Equine Medical & Surgical Associates. My horses are very easy keepers on fescue pasture, timothy hay, no grain, & ample exercise. I use grazing muzzles spring & fall & have started Heiro as a further preventative for weight control & insulin levels. Another concern is sand colic where I am using psyllium daily. Here I have tried Horseshine & sandtrap by horsetech. I am searching for a product that encompasses Psyllium, omegas, flax, vitamins & minerals. If you know of a one stop product I would love a recommendation. Thank you for your website helping us care for our horses in an educated manner!
Kim

Where are you from? South Carolina

How did you locate this forum? researching natural horsecare & nutrition

Re: supplement advise

Hello Kim,

Thank you for writing and I am delighted to know that my website is helpful.

The products on my website are ones that I find beneficial, but there are others that I do not have on my website that are also worthwhile. The HEIRO product you mentioned is an herbal preparation that many horseowners find helpful and is certainly worth trying. But I would also add magnesium to it since it doesn't contain very much. For the insulin resistant horse, I recommend 5,000 mg of magnesium per 250 lbs of body weight, balanced with calcium. One ounce of HEIRO only has 180 mg. And there is also no chromium, which I find to be an important component. So you would feed Quiessence along with it to bring in these two important minerals.

About the psyllium -- Sand Trap by Horsetech is an excellent product. I do find that many horses prefer a pelleted version, which is why I do not currently have it on my website. But I do like the added probiotics.

I do not know of a psyllium product made by Omega Fields. I am familiar with their flaxseed -- Omega Horseshine -- which I generally do not recommend because it has added oats.

I do not know of an all-in-one product that you describe. Most horse owners do not use psyllium on a daily basis, but only one week out of the month to help prevent sand colic. I recommend adding a small amount to each meal to help lessen glucose absorption in a diet that is already low in sugar and starch.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim King
I have been utilizing your website to educate myself on better nutrition to provide my horses with the best care possible. I noticed some of the supplements that I am using are not endorsed in your store. I was wondering what your thoughts are on Heiro from Equine Medical & Surgical Associates. My horses are very easy keepers on fescue pasture, timothy hay, no grain, & ample exercise. I use grazing muzzles spring & fall & have started Heiro as a further preventative for weight control & insulin levels. Another concern is sand colic where I am using psyllium daily. Here I have tried Horseshine & sandtrap by horsetech. I am searching for a product that encompasses Psyllium, omegas, flax, vitamins & minerals. If you know of a one stop product I would love a recommendation. Thank you for your website helping us care for our horses in an educated manner!
Kim

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio