Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How much is free choice?

Thanks for reply, Dr. Getty!

I'm a little bit relieved that she's not dangerously fat! I tried to measure her neck as you suggested in the Easy keeper teleseminar... it's 95-97 cm depending where I measure - iy's really hard to find the exact middle! And she is about 152 cm high - so it's really on the edge, either a little under or a little over 0.63.

As for grazing - there is really not so much grass :( They've finished it within a few days, so now just wonder around looking for small remainders! Or going back to hay feeders!

I do test her blood about every 6 months. She seems to be on average with Na and Cl. The latest (March) was 137 mmole/l for Na and 100 mmole for Cl. She was a little short on Potassium this time (3.0 mmole/l), but I think it's more of a discrepancy, usually it's about 4. She also withing the average range on all other numbers, including glucose.

except for triglycerides, which are higher than average!! :)

However, she also is having problems with her white nose for the past couple of summers!

No, unfortunately my Magnesium supplement is a pure Magnesium Oxide. I also give her a general vitamin-mineral supplement, but it doesn't comtain Chromium! In fact, I haven't been able to find any supplement with Chromium on our market :(

Where are you from? Moscow, Russia

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: How much is free choice?

Greetings Ekaterina,

Thank you for your patience. Let me know how she's been doing the past month and perhaps it would be best to go over things in detail through a consultation via email. That way, I can better address the specific blood levels, measurements, etc. to see how we can customize things more than this forum allows me to do.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Ekaterina
Thanks for reply, Dr. Getty!

I'm a little bit relieved that she's not dangerously fat! I tried to measure her neck as you suggested in the Easy keeper teleseminar... it's 95-97 cm depending where I measure - iy's really hard to find the exact middle! And she is about 152 cm high - so it's really on the edge, either a little under or a little over 0.63.

As for grazing - there is really not so much grass They've finished it within a few days, so now just wonder around looking for small remainders! Or going back to hay feeders!

I do test her blood about every 6 months. She seems to be on average with Na and Cl. The latest (March) was 137 mmole/l for Na and 100 mmole for Cl. She was a little short on Potassium this time (3.0 mmole/l), but I think it's more of a discrepancy, usually it's about 4. She also withing the average range on all other numbers, including glucose.

except for triglycerides, which are higher than average!!

However, she also is having problems with her white nose for the past couple of summers!

No, unfortunately my Magnesium supplement is a pure Magnesium Oxide. I also give her a general vitamin-mineral supplement, but it doesn't comtain Chromium! In fact, I haven't been able to find any supplement with Chromium on our market

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio