Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: toxic levels of inorganic arsenic in rice bran

Hi Barrie,

From what I could gather from some recent research studies, rice bran has a naturally occurring level of arsenic that is higher than other cereal grains. There does not appear to be a standard level that is considered safe. So I can certainly understand your concern.

Flaxseed meal is also high in fat (and beneficial omega 3s) so you can safely feed up to 1/2 cup (2 ounces by weight) per 400 lbs of body weight.

Keep in mind that when you are trying to help a horse gain weight, you have to take not only the calories into consideration, but also the hindgut microbial population. So the other half of the equation is to feed a prebiotic to keep the hindgut bacteria in good numbers. They are responsible for digesting fiber and you can feed the best hay available, but if their numbers are not adequate, your horse will not get the calories from the hay and hence, will lose weight.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Barrie Hughes
I have become concerned about using rice bran and any feeds containing it after finding that both rice bran(including oil) and brown rice have high levels of inorganic arsenic(causes cancer!!!) in them. I have been feeding Max-E Glo with Calcium Balancer to my younger horses to help put on weight, but think that I will stop. Apparently the ground or rice paddies where the rice is grown was previously treated with pesticides that contained arsenic and the FDA has no regulations to control the content of arsenic in foods(apples are high also). They only regulate the water we drink, What is your opinion and what do you suggest that I substitute for the rice bran to encourage healthy weight gain?

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio