Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How do we avoid Genetically Modified Alfalfa, Beet pulp, Soybean meal in horse feeds???

Hello Susan,

Very interesting discussion and rather disconcerting. I admire your tenacity in seeking new methods and please keep me abreast of your findings.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

susan
In April 2011, a physician sent me an article, which he investigated/verified, re: GMOs adverse affect on fertility in farm animals. Several months ago, I found another study that said GMOs affect human male fertility. I googled it and there is now a growing # of sites discussing this problem.

I read a post on the equine-repro list by a WB breeder in Indian surrounded by farm country, who's mares all became infertile. She moved away, and a year later, their fertility returned. I asked her to describe the indications. SHe said her mares had persistent follicles that would not ovulate, abnormal heat cycles, and no heat cycles during peak breeding season.

My mares did the same thing. I A.I.'d 17 times, on each occasion the semen was verified at 80-85% PM. All outside mares settled and conceived. My own mares in KY, surrounded by farmland and consuming GMO grains, had similar problems and only one mare checked in foal after 2 yrs of trying.

My vet said he had never seen anything like it, so many mares with persistent follicles, and others that stopped cycling all together during breeding season. THese mares had never presented problems like this before. The ones that had normal appearing cycles, did not conceive for 2 consecutive years.

I stopped feeding anything with GMOs, but there was ground contamination from prior farming and it's virtually impossible to find hay that wasnt sprayed with pesticides in the area. Not to mention, on top of that, the farmers here grow fescue grass and its a challenge finding an alternative. My concern is that more people are having problems and havent yet linked them to the source.

Im wondering where to find more information on the impact of GMOs on equine fertility, and ways to detox. After talking with 3-4 companies, and leaving messages for a couple more that didnt respond, I came up with my own holistic protocol, and will know in a couple weeks if its making any difference. But I have lost another breeding season in the process.

I have heard that GMOs can cause DNA damage as well, so I am looking for solutions, and appreciate any input.

Cheers, Susan

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio