Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Smartcontrol IR... oversupplementing?

Then again... would it just be better to stop the TCL and just do SmartVite EZ keeper with the alfalfa pellets? I have to keep with supplements that I can get in the smartpaks because the barn staff rotate and she ends up getting the wrong amounts.

3 lbs alfalfa pellets
Smartvite EZ keeper
Smartcontrol IR
Bioflax 20

3 flakes brome/1 flake alfalfa

Soaked beet pulp with supplements.

Kimberly

Where are you from? Kansas

Re: Smartcontrol IR... oversupplementing?

Hello Kimberly,

I see overlaps between the two Smart Pak products, so go with the Smart Control IR and the BioFlax20.

She probably doesn't require the additional beet pulp if she is already overweight. This is simply adding more calories. You can mix the supplements with moistened alfalfa pellets.

I do have to let you know that restricting hay is keeping her insulin levels high, which is preventing her from losing body fat. So, as long as she goes for periods of time with an empty stomach, she will continue to release higher levels of cortisol (stress hormone) which not only keep her metabolic syndrome a problem, but can induce a laminitis attack, due to elevated insulin.

I know you board her, but not all boarding situations are out of touch with how horses are meant to eat -- they need to graze on forage at all times. Many informed barn managers are aware of this. But, many are not, as you are experiencing. Perhaps you could lend them a copy of my book?

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kimberly
Then again... would it just be better to stop the TCL and just do SmartVite EZ keeper with the alfalfa pellets? I have to keep with supplements that I can get in the smartpaks because the barn staff rotate and she ends up getting the wrong amounts.

3 lbs alfalfa pellets
Smartvite EZ keeper
Smartcontrol IR
Bioflax 20

3 flakes brome/1 flake alfalfa

Soaked beet pulp with supplements.

Kimberly

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio